A gluten-free food blog.

Welcome! My name is Kate and I suffer from Celiac disease. I became aware of my body's disapproval of gluten over 10 years ago and have slowly been adjusting to a new lifestyle. I am, thankfully, not as sensitive as some - I can eat things cooked in the same kitchen, even the same fryer - so stay aware of your own sensitivities when taking gluten-free tips and advice. I hope these reviews of GF restaurants, foods, recipes and products will help you with your own changes of lifestyle, whether they are a choice or a requirement.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pizza, I know you miss it...

When I lived in Canada the big chain restaurant we had ordered from all my life came out with a decent gluten-free pizza fairly early in the game. I was obviously spoiled by this fact and when I moved down to CT we had very little luck with our GF pizza hunt. We tried everywhere in the area that advertised but everything was terribly disappointing and incredibly pricey - I'm looking at you Wood N Tap.

As luck would have it, on a trip home from Dallas we were seated next to a gentleman who mentioned we were fairly close to a great pizza restaurant that he and his wife often traveled to for their gluten-free pies! We had never heard of it so we decided to give it a chance and see if he was right.

Naples Pizza was absolutely as wonderful as advertised and we have made many subsequent trips. The decor is casual but classy and it's cozy even in the coldest parts of the year. In the summer they have a surprisingly nice patio area around the side of the building which almost doubles their seating area. The servers here are always warm and hospitable and - most important of all - well informed about the food they are serving.

Most of their salads are gluten-free and certainly large enough to share. While I normally make a face when someone tells me the GF options are salad, I enjoy the heck out of the salads here. What I recommend most on the salad front is their Tuscan salad which is amazing. The croutons in it are made of polenta and are crunchy but warm in the center (warning: they do not have a dedicated fryer so if you are incredibly sensitive to gluten skip the croutons). The salad also comes with tons of fresh mozzarella, roasted red pepper, artichoke and black olives in a beautiful vinaigrette, they are anything but stingy with their toppings.

The gluten-free pizza here comes in one size which I would call a medium. Its enough food that the hubby and I share it and are completely satisfied. My normal go-to is the tomato basil toppings with a red sauce but every pizza that goes by my table looks amazing.They do a thinner crust which comes out nice and crispy without tasting like a dry piece of cardboard.

An added bonus is that they have a nice wine selection at a reasonable price. If you're not much of a wine drinker they also offer Redbridge Gluten-free beer. It's not a bad variety as far as GF beer goes, the flavor is decent although I find it a little bit watery. I have ordered it several times though so I guess I don't mind it too much.


All in all, an amazing place for a Saturday afternoon lunch or a cozy Friday night date. I certainly can't get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment