A gluten-free food blog.

Welcome! My name is Kate and I suffer from Celiac disease. I became aware of my body's disapproval of gluten over 10 years ago and have slowly been adjusting to a new lifestyle. I am, thankfully, not as sensitive as some - I can eat things cooked in the same kitchen, even the same fryer - so stay aware of your own sensitivities when taking gluten-free tips and advice. I hope these reviews of GF restaurants, foods, recipes and products will help you with your own changes of lifestyle, whether they are a choice or a requirement.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Garlic cheddar bread mix

This is my very first post on a product rather than a restaurant - so it's useful to the gluten-intolerant all over rather than just local to where I am visiting. While at my dad's place during my visit to the North he decided to brave making some bread for me to have along with our standard lunch of cheese, cold meats and olives (and wine, let's be honest).

The box that he had purchased was from a company I had not ever tried before called Heartland Gourmet. The mix was for their gluten-free garlic cheddar bread and overall I was super happy with how it came out. Now, this recipe tells you to add 8 oz of water to the mix in warmer weather and 10 oz in colder. Given that it was being made in a 36th level condo in Ontario during a cold snap in February, we added the 10 oz right away - which was a mistake. I believe the 8 oz would have been enough even in these extreme cold circumstances. Despite our somewhat sticky dough experience, we managed to lump it on to a sheet tray and get it into the oven.

The bread baked up beautifully and was moist and flavorful without being too much. It also didn't have the heaviness that a lot of GF breads seem to be known for. Even the folks who are not gluten-intolerant were happy to nibble away at warm slices of this delicious bread.

I especially enjoyed it with a little butter and a pat of blue cheese melting on top. It was a perfect combination and I highly recommend it.

This bread was also great the next morning under the broiler with  some shredded cheese and sliced tomato. The tomato flavor in the bread played off the fresh cooked tomatoes perfectly and when the bread toasted it actually crisped nicely and took on some color. This may not seem especially important but a lot of gluten-free breads don't toast nicely or look especially appetizing when they come out of the oven.

This mix can be bought for $6 through the Heartland Gourmet website and I think once I have moved South it will be worth buying a few boxes for the pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment